Saturday, October 27, 2007

Birth, Work, and Bluebird-isms

I am so lucky -- today I got to see the documentery film that Ricki Lake directed, "The Business of Being Born." It concisely (1 hour 23 minutes) explains why I believe hospitals usually ruin healthy labor and delivery experiences, and why midwife-assisted home births (gasp) and birthcenters (which value midwives and the home-like setting) offer women the chance to experience life (scientifically: oxytocin, plainly: the bliss after the pain) and be empowered (if we can deliver babies, imagine what else we can do that we thought too difficult), all while bringing a healthy baby into the world. The film will be released theatrically in New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco in January 2008 and the video release will be in March, 2008. Click to see a trailer.

Bluebird is so over his cough. Thank you for praying for us. Within a day or two of my last post, it was gone.

Can I just say how wiped out I am after a day at work? I enjoy my work but it's about all I can handle for a day -- I don't have the energy to come home to play with or be in charge of eventually getting the kids to bed. In addition, I've begun to feel slightly anxious about my work schedule. Right now, I work Tuesdays and Thursdays and the other part-time lady works Mondays, Wednesday, and Fridays. We both use the same computer, and between the two of us, we make one full-time person! My mom (and often times babysitter) will no longer be able to help me on Tuesdays. And because the [one] computer is already used Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, I feel stuck as to when I can work instead of Tuesdays. Because I imagine the computer problem will only be magnified come January, I talked to my boss about him buying another computer. I'm sure it will work out. I just liked the routine of knowing I work Tuesdays and Thursdays. I don't like the inconsistancy and day-to-day stress of figuring out when I can work next...

Sweetface can roll over now. Both from her stomach to her back, and from her back to her stomach. I'd say she's probably been doing it for a couple weeks now. She can roll over, but she doesn't do it all the time. Maybe she hasn't found out how fun it can be and how it can help her move. Or maybe it's because she rarely gets any time on the floor. It makes me sad actually that we have hardwood floors and no soft carpeted area. What kind of parents are we?!?

I've been spending a lot of my free time putting Bluebird pictures into his albums. I probably have put about 200 prints away. I still have about 200 more pictures to put in their respective albums ("Bluebird", "Sweetface", and "Family & Friends"). Then I need to print a bunch more.

I've been meaning to journal a couple of funny / cute things Bluebird has said, that I don't want to forget.

Bluebird went through a phase where "try" was his answer to everything. 2 weeks after Sweetface was born, Bluebird pointed to my belly button and said, "Sweetface inside."
Mommy: "Yes, Sweetface used to be inside Mommy's tummy."
Bluebird: "More." (a common Bluebird word)
Mommy: "Sweetface can't go back inside Mommy's tummy!"
Bluebird: "Try."
It made me smile.

A bit more recently, I've talked him into saying "I love you too," when people tell him they love him. ;) I love it, I love it, I love it. I've been looking forward to the day when all my hard "mommy" work is appreciated and evidenced by him telling me he loves me. Also, he and I have our own love talk when he affectionately in a long drawn out way, says, "Moooommy, Moooooommy, Moooooommy." I in return say, "Bluuuebird, Bluuuuebird, Bluuuuebird." Well, not exactly, but you get the idea. It means, "I love you."

The other day after he had already been tucked into bed once, he called me into his bedroom. I was snacking on Rolos and I popped one more in my mouth before I opened his door, so that he wouldn't see me eating it. I laid down on his bed next to him, and he instantly says, "Choc-cho" (translation: chocolate). Trying not to grin, I said, "How did you know? It wasn't what he said next that cracked me up, because he didn't even say anything, but what he did. He exaggeratively started inhaling and exhaling through his nose! The little guy instantly smelled it on my breath -- I was busted!

A while back, Aaron was teaching Bluebird which Walgreens was "his." We were shopping at one that wasn't his, but Bluebird did not yet know better, and said, "Daddy's Walgreens." Aaron corrected him and said, "Well, no. This isn't Daddy's Walgreens. This is a Walgreens, but it isn't Daddy's Walgreens." Bluebird learned that day, and still every time we drive by that one Walgreens he let's us know, that that's "A Walgreens." He doesn't understand "a" is an article, but instead thinks that it is the proper name of the Walgreens at 21st & Fairlawn.

Well, hubby is home from work, and he comes bearing gifts (Sonic sausage, egg & cheese breakfast burrito), so blogging has lost it's lure. Later.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I had no idea you had a blogspot blog! :o) Yea! I can comment!

So sweet about bluebird saying "I love you!" :)

Hope you all have a great week!