Friday, October 12, 2007

Everything from bangs to God

I'm so pleased with my new email address -- does that make me a nerd? I don't think so. The reasons I love my gmail account:

1. I have always used Google's search engine
2. I already have Google set to be my homepage
3. Google allows me to customize my homepage (iGoogle) with little Google
applications, tools, newsfeeds, etc. (see number 5)
4. I can now choose to have a Gmail summary (letting me know if I have any new messages and links directly to those new messages) right on my homepage! 5. Now my Google homepage includes not only the search engine box, but also a link to Gmail, the weather outside along with the forecast, my ToDo list, the
How to of the Day, and a link to my NIV Daily Bible reading of the day

I feel as though my life is streamlined -- efficient and simple, and that's the way I like it!

In other news, my bangs need trimmed. The rest of my hair could probably use a little pick-me-up as well, but now that I have bangs right above my eyes, it's more of an issue. Which makes me wonder: how short / long should I have them cut? Last time I was in, she cut them to the exact length that looked good. But that means it doesn't take long for them to be longer than what looks best. Maybe I should have them cut just a bit shorter than what looks best, so that I can go twice as long before they are so long.

Seriously now. I received a great email today from a friend and in it was a video she forwarded that reminded me of a lesson God taught me a couple months ago. It was great to be reminded. I had been reading Ecclesiastes 2:11 which says "Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun." The little devotional in my Bible that goes along with this reading says, "The Bible teaches us that instead of searching for happiness, we should allow God's joy and peace to reign in our hearts. Instead of striving for the things we think will satisfy, we can learn to find true contentment by looking to God, whatever our circumstance." As I type that, I am reminded of another season in my life when God was trying to teach me the same thing -- I must really struggle with this! Anyway, when Sweetface was only a few weeks old, and my hubby had returned back to work, I would find myself looking forward to his return home so that I could have a little help or even do something for myself (thus equalling happiness). But I couldn't live like that every hour he was at work! I want God's joy and peace to reign in my heart, not discontent! I was taught that "blessed" in the Bible means "happy." Blessed are those whose sins are forgiven (Psalm 32:1), who trust in the Lord (Psalm 40:4) and who draw near to God (Psalm 65:4). The true source of pleasure is God. When I claim these as my own, I am happy, even if dishes, laundry, and kids are my reality. God's joy and peace reign in my heart regardless!

Make sure your volume is up while watching this video.

No comments: