Friday, June 27, 2008

Sometimes I Scare Myself...

A couple days ago I was in Aldi grocery store, just me and the two kiddos. We had just walked in when Ashton informed me that he needed to go to the bathroom. As you know, the store isn't that big, but the bathroom was in the furthest corner from where we were. So instead of dodging the after-work dinner rush with my cart in tow, I decided to park the cart in a less-populated corner so I could get Ashton to the bathroom before an accident happened! On the way to the bathroom I began to picture how I was going to go in with/help Ashton while also holding Sadie. Then it dawned on me -- where's Sadie? I turned around completely baffled as to where she had gone! There she was -- sitting in the top portion of the neatly-parked shopping cart, with her neck craned to see where we were going! I was embarrassed and horrified as I backtracked to retreive my other child. :)

What could be worse?

I'll tell you -- doing it a second time. Today we were in JCPenney's when Ashton again let me know he needed to use the restroom. Once again, I parked the Sadie-bearing-stroller in a remote corner outside the women's restroom and was on my way inside (after all I have not had to deal with an Ashton-accident in public and I want it to stay that way!) when Ashton asked, "Sadie come in too?" Without missing a beat I made a U-turn and shook my head in disbelief over my terrible parenting, thankful that Ashton was on top of things!

And to think: I'd just decided I was willing to have more kids...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmm, maybe it's just because you often have a 2nd adult with you to help keep and eye on them???
Don't worry, if you have Ashton with you, you practically DO have another adult. I can't believe how smart that kid is. Of couse, I'm his Nana!

ok, now we know where you get it from, I have to post anonymously as I can't remember my password!

The Bellands said...

Aaron said I need to start using the backpack style leashes on the kids, not so that they won't run away from me, but so that I want forget them walk away from them!

Becca said...

I'm glad everything was ok--and because it was I can laugh at your story!! That's SO funny...but I can completely understand how that would happen.

I think it's so cute that Ashton is so caring about his little sister. *Adorable*!