Wednesday, June 11, 2008

As For Me and My House...

I started reading Desperate Households by Kathy Peel after seeing it suggested in my Marriage Partnership magazine. It touches different sometimes-chaotic subjects that often cause women stress (i.e. cleaning, organizing, morning-time frenzy, dinner-time, etc.). In the process it helps you prioritize your life and find a balance. Since I had already re-checked the book out from the library two times other than the original checkout, and since I don't foresee any extra leisure-reading time in the near future (the Bible study by Beth Moore is doing a good job of keeping me busy), I returned the book to the library even though I wasn't finished.

So here I am jotting down the few notes I took from the book.

The following activities invigorate me:
  • Decorating
  • Landscaping
  • Finances/Accounting
  • Helping out behind the scenes
  • Cleaning others' areas
  • Organizing spaces

Important to me, in descending order (but all still important enough to make it on the list):

  • Spiritual growth
  • Fulfilling marriage
  • Loving relationship with my children
  • Good friends
  • Travel
  • Fun and recreation
  • Financial security
  • A loving extended family
  • Clean and organized home

"Kids won't remember if their home was always perfectly clean, but they will remember if Mom was a fun person." How do I want my children to remember me and the atmosphere of our home? This challenges me because I often find myself cutting coupons, picking up, cleaning, etc. before I play...and this can be a never-ending job! I want balance.

Aaron is the CEO of our family, and I am the family manager. I've created a mission statement for myself, to remind me of my priorities and help me make decisions. My mission statement:

To create a home that nurtures relationships, provides a safe, welcoming retreat from the outside, and is pleasantly orderly and under control.

No comments: