Tuesday, December 23, 2008

At War Against Myself

I suppose I set myself up for this dilemma when Aaron and I decided we would let our children believe in Santa.

The problem: Ashton has asked Santa for 1, and only 1, toy -- a "real" Dodge Ram with doors that open on the side and a tailgate that really lifts and lowers. Okay, it is a Fisher-Price type Power Wheels truck. =) But it is still $300!

One side of me wars: Ashton has no concept of money and cost; he is not trying to be greedy; this is an honest desire of his. It is his only request. He talked to the Santa at the mall and told him about this one request. Whenever people ask him what he "wants / what Santa is bringing," (as if they are one and the same) he consistently answers the same way. And of course, as Christmas day gets closer, each day Ashton asks if it is Christmas Eve because he's "really looking forward to the presents Santa will bring." This is the first year Ashton has grasped the idea of Santa bringing gifts and if Ashton doesn't receive his one request, he might resent Santa right from the start. Heaven forbid... ;)

The other side of me wars: We do not have the money. I don't want to go in debt over this toy, for pete's sake! $300 is a lot of money to spend on anybody (not to mention a 3 year-old! )something I've only done a few times.

As I write this post, I think I realize the obvious answer and how ridiculous this is. I suppose it is because I am Ashton's mother and I only want my child be happy that I have let myself get emotionally clouded. This dilemma/worry has really consumed too many of my thoughts during an otherwise peaceful and meaningful Christmas.

Does anybody else have any advice, opinion, or similar experiences from which I can learn?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girl, I know just what you are talking about. I always struggle at Christmas and birthdays. Kaia isn't asking for anything too expensive, but she wants everything she sees. We do spoil both of them...but I've told Kaia that Santa won't be able to bring everything she wants because he has to have room for gifts for everyone and because he brings the toys he really wants her to have. So maybe you can tell him that Santa may not have room in his sleigh for such a big toy.
I'd have a hard time with this too!

Unknown said...

Hey Shayla, I wish I can say decisions will get easier, but they wont. You have this desire to give everything to your kids pick them up when they get hurt, take care of all the problems even at 29 - 26. I cant say that I did what was always the best. The truth is we shouldnt give them everything they want as much as we would like, especially when you cant afford it. Perhaps other family can go in with it. He maybe disapointed if he dosnt get it, but that is life and something we all have had to get used to. I remember once when Jenny was in High school she wished we were rich so she could have a full size dodge ram truck like a friend of hers had gotten for her 16th birthday, I told her honey arent you glad we love you enough that we cant spoil you like that? She said no! Maybe Ashton will understand that Santa thinks it best that he didnt get such an expensive gift this year, but maybe some day. It is hard. You and Aaron give him what is the best for him Your Love, and that is most important. He would eventually get over the disapointment, but he will always feel loved. Dang it, I wish I could get him one. Take care, let me know how it turns out. Linda

Anonymous said...

I don't have kids so this is a place I'm not all that experienced in, but would it be so bad if Ashton's disappointed with someone who doesn't exist?

Since Santa isn't real Ashton can resent him all he wants.

I remember what Linda was talking about with the girl who got the Dodge Ram...and their family declared bankruptcy soon after that time...because of out-of-control spending.

I know you love your son and I have no place in telling you how to do that but I can tell you that deep down I think you know what's right to do...what will lighten your conscience.

So do that...

Anonymous said...

i always wanted a horse when i was a kid and gosh i never got it but i turned out ok i think
well maybe if i always got what i wanted then id be a different person ha