Wednesday, May 07, 2008

I'm Feeling a Bit Guilty

"As you should be," I imagine Aaron would say.

My husband detests every single blogosphere illustration in which people steal on Walgreens. I suppose he has every right to be angry since his livelihood depends on Walgreens' success. He wants to "bring them all down."

However, he has given me permission -- I am the one exception. =)

I got the above this evening for $1.34 (after sales, employee discount, coupons, Register Rewards, AND tax)! I have never done anything like this before and I am surprised how easily it happened. Again, I feel a bit guilty because I know Walgreens paid more than $1.34 for the above items, and so I don't usually get too excited about these ploys (especially when people buy things they don't need --I'm thinking of the 60 eye shadow applicators and 18 sponge makeup applicators I recently saw on a stranger's blog). But I will use everything pictured and would have purchased it all eventually -- I'll just have to be flexible about not using Listerine toothpaste.

Hmmm, I wonder if this will become more routine...

5 comments:

EdwinsonFamily said...

I'm confused, but I feel like I must be wrong to be since you have the "inside scoop". But, aren't these stores encouraging the use of the programs they promote? Walgreens advertises the things you can get for free with rebates, and CVS with extra care bucks. If they didn't want people to take advantage of it, why the programs? If a savvy person uses a manufactures coupon on the same items the store doesn't lose, right? Aren't they reimbursed by the manufacturer? I find it curious that there are often alligning coupons with the "sale" items. It appears as if certain brands/items are being promoted. So, is that stealing? Would these stores continue if they were losing?
Really. I don't want to take advantage... but I feel like I'm being asked to partake.
What are your thoughts?

Becca said...

Wow! How'd you figure out how to do that??

The Bellands said...

In response to Joy, I guess what gets me riled up is:
1. When people really do lie -- I saw one suggestion to spend (for example) $10 on t.p. after the in-store coupon (or $20 before the in-store coupon) and then mail in for a $10 rebate if you spend $20. Even if it did work, I just didn't feel right about the suggestion since people weren't really spending $20. Maybe it's just me...
2. When people brag about all they got when they couldn't possibly need or use it/that many! (I understand that all the extras can me given away to even the Rescue Mission ;), so in that instance it is okay.) I guess MY real issue is being careful to not buy something I don't need or want (especially if I'm buying the natural/organic version) just because it is on sale.
3. When people "stack" coupons and then they don't work at the register. Perhaps this is similar to #1. And I'm sure I don't know ALL the rules. But from my experience as a grocery store cashier and from Aaron's grumblings, I can appreciate it when people abide by the rules and don't go completely overboard.

There -- there's my explaination. Again, that's jut MY opinion. To each his own... But yes, you are right -- Aaron thinks the register rewards are a manufacturer's coupon.

Rebecca, I'll have time to respond at a different time. =) Love ya.

The Bellands said...

Joy, after reading your comment again, I realize I maybe didn't answer all your questions.

Yes, Walgreens at least, encourages and advertises the free after rebate items (at Walgreens expense) in order to get people in the door in hopes that they'll buy other (full-price) items. But I think you are right -- if you use a manufacturers coupon on these items, THAT is not at the expense of the store.

No, I don't think there are enough savvy people to shut down Walgreens (but it does make Aaron's bonus smaller), and no, I don't think buying only good deals is stealing (if done right) -- it's smart, especially for us po' folk! =) I didn't mean to cause a moral delimma!

EdwinsonFamily said...

I understand what you are saying. I've tried to think it through as well, because it actually FEELS like it could tip over to wrong pretty easily.
Thanks for your thoughts. I like being helped to think!