Sunday, December 09, 2007

...On my mind

In order to finally blog, I'm putting aside my list of things to do. Because it is such a busy time of year, the list may never get done... I have so many mental notes of things I want to blog, so we'll see how many I remember.

About a week ago, Sadie, Ashton and I were at my grandparents house. I put Sadie down to sleep on a comforter on the floor of one of the bedrooms. (Fortunately, she's totally different than Ashton was when it comes to sleeping -- I can [and do] lay her awake in her crib and she'll put herself to sleep.) When it was time to leave my grandparents house, I went into the bedroom to get Sadie and lo and behold she wasn't where I had left her. My mind quickly started going every which way as I quickly scanned the entire room. She was nowhere. She rolls around a lot, so the only reasonable explanation was that she had rolled under the bed in that bedroom. I lifted up the bed skirt and sure enough -- there she was -- peacefully (but still breathing) asleep! That crazy girl will never live that one down!

On Thursday my boss gave me my paycheck AND a Christmas bonus/gift!!! I am so excited, thankful, and blessed. God is so good. (And Curtis too.) I hadn't even thought that far ahead about this years' potential bonus, so it caught me especially off guard. As I explained it to him, it's like Christmas is free this year! How freeing -- it makes the holiday more enjoyable.

It's somewhat beside the point, but it's a shame that society makes Christmas so expensive -- like save-all-year-or-go-into-debt-expensive! I feel as though this is the first year Ashton kind of gets Christmas, at least more than ever before (duh). Along with that ability of his to understand, I need to do my part and put it all in perspective for him. I notice at every new commercial he sees, he suggests another gift he'd like to receive. Where did he get that idea? Perhaps from all of us asking each other what we want for Christmas! I need to do a better job of emphasizing the meaning of Christmas and if anything -- giving to the less fortunate. This is something that's been on my mind ever since I explained to him what Thanksgiving is about, and I know I have a lot to figure out still! I'm just thinking out loud.

Sadie's in love with her toes and with rolling over. I love her so much.

Ashton's cast comes off tomorrow! Hopefully he doesn't struggle with walking again like I did 19 years ago when the cast came off my broken leg. Ha. Only my family will appreciate that last sentence. Let's just say it wasn't pretty (or quick).

Ashton has said so many funny / noteworthy things lately that I wanted to blog about and now I can't remember any of them. Arggh. I've learned my lesson. As soon as he says it, I am going to resist the urge to be lazy and I will immediately go write it down. He is so smart these days, I'm sooo amazed. (I wonder if it's those Expecta Lipil pills I popped every day. Or for that matter, I wonder if it's because he was breastfed for so long. Or maybe I'm just biased. =) )

I've reminded myself of something Aaron told me today. I was washing dishes and Aaron was drying them when a loud bang came from Ashton's room. Ashton called Aaron's name and when Aaron went into Ashton's room, the miniature car collection of Aaron's (from when he was a child), had dropped from where it had been. Aaron asked Ashton how that happened. Ashton's response started with his response to every question. "Um. Hmmm." Then, "me be naughty." At least we can agree on some things.

1 comment:

kirsten said...

I loved reading what's new. Fun way to remember those CUTE, CUTE, CUTE things they say!

I am overcome with happiness and joy at seeing him without the cast today. What a blessing.

I'm thinking maybe I'll blog my 36 hour saga tomorrow during naptime.